At Cosmetic Laser Dermatology our doctors provide expert and cutting edge technology for San Diego laser tattoo removal. This is a safe and effective way to get rid of unwanted skin art. Since we have multiple lasers for tattoo removal, we can effectively remove or fade ink of almost every color from black to red to green to blue. The type of laser used depends on color of the ink.
Cosmetic Laser Dermatology is pleased to house both the PicoSure and brand-new PicoWay lasers in Southern California. These cutting-edge systems are the most advanced available, producing amazing results in fewer treatments!
With our latest treatment and news
Watch Our Doctors Discuss Laser Tattoo Removal in San Diego
We own the following tattoo removal lasers:
We are also one of the 1st offices in the country to use fractional CO2 to remove tattoos:
What Are the Benefits of Laser Tattoo Removal?
Laser tattoo removal techniques can remove your unwanted body art safely and with minimal side effects. Our doctors are able to remove your ink with techniques that are tailored to suite your individual case. Overall, laser removal is the least invasive and most effective method, and with the addition of PicoWay, even bright colors such as orange can be treated.
How Does It Work?
The laser emits a pulse of energy that passes through the top layers of the skin and is selectively absorbed by the ink. This energy causes the ink pigment to break down into smaller particles and is then absorbed by the body. Thus, body art is safely and effectively removed without damage to the surrounding skin.
Multiple treatments, generally 5-10 sessions, are required for complete elimination. The amount of treatments needed depends on the size, the color, what type of ink was used, the location, and your skin color. Laser treatments are spaced out every 4-6 weeks for maximum results.
Free Radiation Tattoo Removal
If you have undergone radiation therapy for cancer, Cosmetic Laser Dermatology will be happy to remove your radiation tattoos free of charge. Many people find that the removal of those small dots helps them to close a chapter in their life and look forward without the constant reminder on their skin. If you have tattoos from radiation therapy that you would like removed, don’t hesitate to call us at (858) 943-2113!
Before and After Pictures
To see more before and after tattoo removal pictures see our photo gallery.
What to Expect During Your Tattoo Removal Procedure
- To make you more comfortable topical numbing ointment may be applied or local anesthesia may be injected prior to your procedure.
- Eye shields will be used to protect your eyes.
- You will feel a brief sensation of heat (similar to grease “splattering” or rubber band “snapping” against your skin).
- Cold air may be applied directly to skin surface as your tattoo is being treated to help decrease sensation of heat.
After Your Tattoo Removal Procedure:
- You will have a sensation of heat/intense sunburn which will subside throughout the day. It is okay to take Tylenol or Ibuprofen.
- You may notice a “white frosting” appearance over treated area. This will subside shortly after treatment.
- It is possible to develop pin-point bleeding, redness and mild swelling.
- An ointment and bandage will be placed over your tattoo after the procedure to protect the surface of the skin.
- If needed, apply ice packs (20 min. on and 20 min. off) the day of the procedure. This will help reduce the sensation of heat and help minimize swelling.
- Swelling typically peaks at 48-72 hours. If the laser treatment is being performed on your face, sleeping with your head slightly elevated at night on two or three pillows for the first 2-3 nights will help minimize swelling. If the laser treatment is being done on the lower extremities (arms or legs), elevating these areas throughout the day and when sleeping at night for the first 3-5 nights will help minimize swelling.
- Swelling may vary from patient to patient and from treatment to treatment.
- NO RUBBING, PICKING OR WIPING THE TREATED AREA.
- It is okay to shower the day of the procedure.
- Gentle cleansing with the finger tips is okay.
- Crusting/scabbing may occur (allow to come off naturally, do not try to remove).
- Apply antibiotic ointment daily until surface has healed (typically 1-2 weeks).
- Cover treated area with a bandage if it is in a location that will be rubbed or irritated by clothing.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to remove a tattoo?
Laser energy is directed at the art, passing harmlessly through the outer layers of the skin and directly targeting the ink. The ink is disrupted, allowing your body to absorb it, break it down naturally, and remove the tattoo.
What types of tattoos can be removed?
We are able to remove any type because we have various lasers. Different treatments are able to remove different colors. Our office is fully equipped with everything needed to remove all colors, shapes, and sizes.
Are certain colors easier to remove than others?
Yes, certain colors respond quicker to elimination. For example, black, red, dark orange, and dark blue are the easiest and fastest to remove. Green, purple, brown, light orange and light blue may require more visits. The depth of the tattoo will also determine how many treatments are needed, as well as the type of ink used. Lastly, your skin tone will play a part in how fast the laser works. Lighter skin tones typically have a higher success rate.
How many treatments will I need?
During your consultation, one of our board-certified dermatologists will estimate the number of treatments you will need. As every person is unique, every tattoo is unique, but most take between 5-10 treatments to remove, each 4-6 weeks apart.
Will the tattoo completely disappear?
In most cases, yes, it will completely disappear. The ability to completely remove body art depends on several factors, including size, location, how long you have had it for, etc.
How much downtime is required?
The aftercare is minimal. You are able to return to your daily activities immediately after the treatment. However, you should keep the treated areas out of the sun for a few days and wear a good sunscreen.
Will I have scars?
After the removal of a tattoo most patients will not scar, however scarring is possible with any medical procedure. Compliance with our detailed after-care instructions will reduce your chances of scarring.
Can I remove only part of a tattoo?
Yes, our lasers are very accurate so we can remove just a portion if you wish.
Can I remove permanent make-up?
Yes. Cosmetic ink is different than the ink used in body tattoos, but we have the correct lasers to effectively remove permanent make-up.
Is it painful?
The pain associated with removing a tattoo is very tolerable. Most patients describe the feeling as similar to a rubber band snapping on the skin. A numbing cream can be applied prior to the treatment. When our San Diego dermatologists treat a sensitive area, local anesthetic may be used.
Are there any side effects of laser tattoo removal?
Laser tattoo removal side effects are generally very minimal, but may include hyperpigmentation (an abundance of color in the skin around the treatment site) or hypopigmentation (treatment area becomes lighter than your normal skin color).
How much does it cost?
Prices vary from patient to patient and depend on the size, color and location of the tattoo. To find out how much the cost of laser tattoo removal in San Diego will be for you, schedule a consultation with one of our cosmetic dermatologists.
Schedule your Treatment Today!
Please contact Cosmetic Laser Dermatology at (858) 943-2113 for more information on laser tattoo removal in San Diego and to schedule a consultation. We are located in the UTC area of San Diego, minutes from La Jolla, Del Mar, and Downtown San Diego.