Aging Skin Overview
People have been looking for the fountain of youth for as long as we’ve been walking on land. We’re getting there – people are living longer and better – but we haven’t yet found a way to stop the aging process. However, there are ways to make you look younger.
The board-certified, world-acclaimed cosmetic and medical dermatologists at Cosmetic Laser Dermatology in San Diego know how frustrating it is when your outer appearance doesn’t match your inner youthfulness. Their expertise in anti-aging treatments and procedures is unmatched, as is their dedication to helping you reach your dermatology goals and regain your youthful appearance.
Aging is different for each of us, and it depends on many factors: exposure to the sun or harsh elements, type and frequency of skin care, gravity, injury, stress, genetics, diet, habits, sleeping position, and more.
While nothing absolutely stops the aging process, you can follow certain steps to help keep your skin supple and youthful-looking. Even then, however, your aging skin will undergo changes that you may not like, such as:
Many of these effects can be reduced or significantly reversed with consistent care and treatment from a skilled dermatologist. Undergoing regular anti-aging treatment and wrinkle-fighting procedures can soften the signs of age, letting you appear healthy and younger than your actual age.
Sun and Your Skin
Sun exposure is, without question, the largest contributor to aging skin problems in San Diego. Frequent prolonged exposure damages fibers in your skin called elastin. Sun damage can cause sagging skin, wrinkles, dullness, volume loss, and other significantly aging factors. Years in the sun also can cause you to develop age spots, which resemble large freckles that usually show up on your hands, arms, face, feet, and back. They’re not life-threatening, but are unsightly and can make you self-conscious.
You can reduce sun damage by avoiding prolonged exposure, as well as reduce the appearance of damage with laser treatments and other anti-aging procedures. If you do plan to be in the sun, protect yourself by covering up with appropriate clothes, wearing a wide-brimmed hat, and using no less than a broad-spectrum SPF 15 sunscreen.
Skin Cancer in the U.S.
It is believed that nearly half of all Americans will develop some form of skin cancer by the age of 65, the main culprit being sun exposure, although frequent indoor tanning is an accomplice. Fortunately, advances in medicine and technology mean that there are many ways to successfully treat skin cancer, especially when it’s caught early.
Skin cancer comes in three kinds:
- Basal cell carcinoma is the most frequent form, and even though it rarely spreads, you should not ignore it.
- Squamous cell carcinoma also occurs frequently and rarely spreads, but it can be fatal if not treated.
- Melanoma is rarer than the above types but is the deadliest and most likely to spread quickly if unchecked.
Both basal and squamous cell cancers grow slowly and are rarely painful. They sometimes look like harmless red or pink patches of skin, although squamous cell cancer can develop into raised growths that may crust or bleed.
Inspect yourself at least once a month for new growths or sores that don’t heal. If you see anything resembling these – or even if you’re not sure – contact Cosmetic Laser Dermatology in San Diego immediately to schedule a dermatology appointment. If you wait, it may be too late.
Learn more about skin cancer visiting webmd.com.
Regardless of your age, it’s never too late to take daily steps to prevent the signs of aging and undergo anti-aging treatment. In addition to the above tips regarding the sun, you can protect your epidermis and maintain its health in the following ways:
- Hydrate all day every day to help your skin stay supple and voluminous
- Good nutrition nourishes your epidermis, keeping it healthy and able to repair itself
- Avoid smoking, as it damages your skin, decreases circulation to your face, and causes drooping around your eyelids (“smoker’s face”)
- Avoid excessive drinking, as more than one a day, contributes to the unhealthy epidermis in women
- Reduce your stress with exercise, yoga, meditation, or simple lifestyle changes
- Apply chemical-free moisturizing lotions, creams, and ointments every day
If you’re unhappy with how your skin looks, there are many anti-aging treatment options available in our San Diego dermatology office:
- Topical retinoid creams (over-the-counter or prescription strength)
- Peptide creams that help promote the production of new collagen
- Microdermabrasion to slough off the top layer of skin to encourage growth from below this top layer
- Laser skin resurfacing with a high-intensity light targeting wrinkles
- Chemical peels with a solution that removes outer layers of skin to encourage the growth of new, smoother epidermis
- Botox or Dysport injections revitalize your appearance
- Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvéderm add volume to your skin
- Cosmetic surgery can tighten your skin by lifting your face, eyelids, forehead, or neck
- Professional skincare formulations designed to support and enhance aging skin on a daily basis
For more information about the monthly specials offered at Cosmetic Laser Dermatology in San Diego, visit our Promotions page.
“If I could give this office 10 stars I would! I’ve never been to such an incredible office where everyone was so sweet, helpful, and professional!”- Jessica V.
“I love and appreciate the professionalism, knowledge, warmth, and extraordinary care from the team at Cosmetic Laser Dermatology.”- Alejandro S.
“I had such an awesome experience for my first visit and I am referring everyone I know to this office. From the super friendly staff to the state of the art procedures, they are the cream of the crop.”- Dinah M.