PicoSure Laser Overview
PicoSure’s advanced technology is a breakthrough for those seeking a way to remove stubborn tattoos or to reduce the signs of aging without having to deal with the pain, downtime, and risks of traditional laser treatments. Using a unique energy delivery that does not heat or damage the skin, PicoSure gently disrupts pigment responsible for skin discoloration, then creates pressure waves in the skin’s dermal layers, signaling the cells to start repairing the skin naturally.
The team of world-renowned dermatologists at Cosmetic Laser Dermatology in San Diego are proud to be the home of the FIRST PicoSure laser in Southern California. In addition to PicoWay, we are also pleased to offer you the PiQo4 and PicoWay lasers and their innovative ways to treat a wide variety of your complexion concerns.
- Acne or surgical scarring
- Benign pigmented lesions
- Tattoos (all ink colors)
Schedule a PicoSure Laser Treatment at our Medical Spa in San Diego
Would you like to discover how PicoSure can reveal clear, radiant, and youthful-looking skin? We’ll gladly answer your questions about how PicoSure and Cosmetic Laser Surgery’s other laser treatments can benefit you. Schedule a consultation in our San Diego office by calling (858) 943-2113 today.
What to Expect
Though most lasers work by delivering quick pulses of light energy into a targeted area of the skin, the PicoSure system pulses at an astonishing rate 100 times shorter than nanosecond technology. This allows for an unparalleled photochemical impact without harming surrounding skin, resulting in fewer treatments and a faster rate of skin clearance. And since its mechanism is photo-mechanical rather than photo-thermal, the epidermis is not disrupted, ensuring more comfort and reduced skin redness. PicoSure can also be used on virtually all skin colors. To learn more about Picoway, visit ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Picosure for Skin Rejuvenation
In addition to being an efficient multicolor removal system, PicoSure is also one of the best devices for skin rejuvenation. While damaged skin cells are broken down, the body harnesses its own healing process and forms new collagen and elastin, which both contribute to the skin’s firm and youthful appearance. In a study performed by Dr. Wu, patients receiving Picosure treatment to the chest reported significant improvements in discoloration, skin texture, fine lines, and wrinkles after just 3 treatments (Lasers Surg Med. 2016 Feb;48(2):188-92).
Picosure Skin Rejuvenation Treatment Locations
Specifically, PicoSure offers these skin rejuvenating benefits:
- Radiant, blemish-free skin
- Smoother skin with more even skin tone
- Smaller pores
- Plumper skin
- Minimized lines, wrinkles, scars, and stretchmarks
During your procedure:
- Your eyes will be protected.
- You will feel a brief sensation of heat (similar to grease “splattering” or rubber band “snapping”
against your skin).
- Each brown spot will be targeted by the laser until the entire spot has been completely covered.
- Cold air may be applied directly to the skin’s surface as it is being treated to help decrease the sensation of
After your procedure:
- The sensation of heat/intense sunburn (will subside throughout the day). It is OK to take Tylenol or
- You may notice a “white frosting” appearance over the treated area. This will subside shortly after the
procedure and then may look bruised or purple.
- Redness and mild swelling may occur in the treated area.
- Apply sunscreen with Zinc Oxide and/or Titanium Dioxide daily. Protect the treated area from the
sun both indoors & outdoors (hat, sunglasses, sunscreen).
- You can apply ice (20 min. on and 20 min. off) the day of the procedure and the following day to help
reduce the sensation of heat and to help minimize swelling.
- Swelling typically peaks at 12-24 hours. If your treatment is being performed on your face,
sleeping with your head slightly elevated at night for the first 2-3 nights will help minimize it.
- Swelling may vary from patient to patient. Some patients may not experience swelling and others
may experience marked swelling.
- NO RUBBING, PICKING OR WIPING THE TREATMENT AREA.
- It is OK to shower the day of the procedure.
- Gentle cleansing is fine.
- Treated areas will darken & look worse while healing.
- Crusting/scabbing may occur (allow to come off naturally, do not try to remove).
- Apply ointment until crusting/scabbing resolves (typically 5-10 days).
- You can wear make-up (unless instructed not to by your physician) as long as you are not rubbing,
picking, or wiping off the skin surface when applying or removing it.
- It is important that you schedule follow-up appointments as instructed by your physician.
- It is always a possibility that you may not get the desired result after one treatment. Additional
treatments may be necessary to achieve optimal desired results.
- Follow any additional specific post-treatment instructions from your physician.
- Follow up with your physician in ______ days/weeks, or as needed.
Please contact our office if you have any questions or concerns at (858)657-1002
Q: How does the laser work?
Q: How many treatment sessions are needed?
Q: Who should perform cosmetic laser treatments?
Q: Am I a good candidate to undergo PicoSure?
Q: Is the PicoSure laser FDA approved?
Q: Can it treat post inflammatory pigmentation problems and melasma?
Q: Does it have the ability to target red and yellow ink?
Q: Is it good for the removal of black tattoos?
Q: How much does PicoSure cost?
Aside from PicoSure, Cosmetic Laser Dermatology’s pigmentation specialists can recommend other lasers for tattoo removal or skin rejuvenation. Examples include:
PicoWay – designed to remove multi-colored, recalcitrant tattoos, as well as benign pigmented lesions and total skin rejuvenation
PiQo4 – utilizes nano and pico laser pulses and 4 different wavelengths to treat unwanted pigmentation
Cosmetic Laser Dermatology in San Diego is also one of the first offices in the country to use fractional C02 to remove tattoos.
Fraxel® Re:pair – laser penetrates the dermis and resurfaces the uppermost layer of skin
Active/Deep FX – high-energy laser that targets unwanted spots and severe textural issues while stimulating collagen production
For more information about the monthly specials offered at Cosmetic Laser Dermatology, visit our Promotions page.
“If I could give this office 10 stars I would! I’ve never been to such an incredible office where everyone was so sweet, helpful, and professional!”- Jessica V.
“I love and appreciate the professionalism, knowledge, warmth, and extraordinary care from the team at Cosmetic Laser Dermatology.”- Alejandro S.
“I had such an awesome experience for my first visit and I am referring everyone I know to this office. From the super friendly staff to the state of the art procedures, they are the cream of the crop.”- Dinah M.