Facial Liposculpture Overview
The board-certified dermatologists at Cosmetic Laser Dermatology in San Diego are experts in both body and facial liposculpture. The facial area is very delicate and requires a precise, skilled touch in order to achieve the best results.
For the face and neck, our skin care specialists use a technique called ‘tumescent liposculpture.’ This technique is ideal for the facial area, as it uses extremely small cannulas. These tiny cannulas are able to give a more precise result than larger cannulas can. In addition, tumescent liposculpture does not require general anesthesia. The tumescent method involves using a fluid which helps to numb the area being treated. This local anesthesia is safer and requires less recovery time than general anesthesia.
Tumescent liposculpture for the face and neck has many benefits, among which is less recovery time, and a smoother result. Large cannulas can sometimes result in waves or ridges, while the tiny cannulas used for tumescent liposculpture are able to leave a more sculpted and smooth result.
What to Expect
At Cosmetic Laser Dermatology in San Diego, we have developed a technique that allows you to achieve the results of a full facelift without needing to undergo surgery. We call this technique ThermiSculpt, as it is a combination of ThermiLift™ and tumescent liposculpture.
Patients can achieve great results through a series of these treatments. Liposculpture can initially reduce unwanted fatty areas in the neck and jowl area, while ThermiLift™ tightens any remaining loose skin. The number of treatments required will vary depending on the individual patient, but after the procedure is finished, the results are just like a surgical facelift, minus the surgery and all the attendant pain and downtime.
ThermiSculpt is a great option for men and women who want to refresh their appearance, get rid of double chins or turkey necks, and achieve a more youthful visage. If you are considering a facelift but aren’t sure that you’re ready to commit to going under the knife, ThermiSculpt could be a good alternative to a traditional facelift.
Treatment Guidelines for Facial Liposculpture
- The day after surgery, you should feel well enough to drive your car and engage in light physical activities.
- You may carefully resume more vigorous exercise and physical activities 2 to 4 days after surgery.
- Your post op appointment will be scheduled the day after surgery. The day after your post-op appointment (day 2) you can shower, wash the incisions with soap and water and apply Polysporin antibiotic ointment twice daily until the incisions are fully healed.
- Have some absorbent pads available (light Kotex absorbent pads work well) to use as post-op dressings.
- You should expect a small amount of blood-tinged anesthetic solution to drain from the small incisions during the first 24 to 48 hours It may be necessary to change the absorbent pads that are under the chin strap.
- DO NOT cover the incisions with Band-Aids or stop the drainage in any way. No hot/cold compresses on the incision sites.
- A chin strap will be worn to provide mild compression that promotes drainage. This strap should be left in place for 24 hours and may be adjusted for comfort as needed. You may have tape on the skin under the strap; leave this tape in place and do not allow it to get wet while bathing; it will be removed during the post-op visit the day after surgery. Please wear the chin strap continuously for the first 3 days, then for 4-5 hours per day for 2 weeks. After the 1st 3 days, it is best not to wear the chin strap at night.
Discomfort and bruising:
- The soreness is the worst about 24 hours after surgery and then improves daily.
- For relief of soreness and inflammation, take Tylenol 500 mg (extra-strength) 1-2 pills every 4 hours while awake for the first 48 hours AFTER surgery.
- DO NOT TAKE ASPIRIN or IBUPROFEN or any other medications that contain aspirin or ibuprofen for 3-5 days after surgery as this may promote bleeding.
- With the tumescent technique, most patients experience remarkably little bruising. Nevertheless, some patients have mild to moderate bruising, lasting 1-2 weeks. If this is a concern for you, your Pre-operative nurse will discuss the use of an Arnica Forte formulation to be started before surgery
- Take the full 10-day dose of oral antibiotics as directed.
- Normally, the tape will be removed at the 24-hour post-op visit the day after surgery. While the tape is in place it is best to sponge bathe or shower from the shoulders down to avoid getting the tape wet. After the tape is removed, you can shower and shampoo your hair. Keep the incisions clean by washing them gently with soap and water. Gently pat them dry with a clean towel. Apply POLYSPORIN antibiotic ointment to the incisions twice a day.
- DO NOT submerge in water until the incisions have healed completely (about 1 week).
- Start with a soft diet and progress to your normal diet. Light foods are recommended for the first meal after surgery. You may resume your usual diet about 4 hours after surgery.
- Drink adequate amounts of water, and fruit juices to prevent dehydration. Avoid drinking alcoholic beverages for 48 hours.
**If you develop a fever, rash, blisters, increased pain, severe itching or change in color of the weeping fluid, call our office immediately as these symptoms may be a sign of infection. **
For more information about the monthly specials offered at Cosmetic Laser Dermatology San Diego, visit our Promotions page.
“I love and appreciate the professionalism, knowledge, warmth, and extraordinary care from the team at Cosmetic Laser Dermatology.”- Alejandro S.
“I had such an awesome experience for my first visit and I am referring everyone I know to this office. From the super friendly staff to the state of the art procedures, they are the cream of the crop.”- Dinah M.
“If I could give this office 10 stars I would! I’ve never been to such an incredible office where everyone was so sweet, helpful, and professional!”- Jessica V.