Lumenis M22 IPL Overview
If you spend a lot of time outdoors, which you likely do living in sunny San Diego and the surrounding areas of Southern California, your skin and appearance can be affected in ways that result in a myriad of unwanted skin conditions, including rough dull texture, sun damage, wrinkles and lines, brown discoloration, new unsightly blood vessels and redness and more. Luckily, an IPL Photofacial/Photorejuvenation is a great way to address these issues. And just like going to the dentist for a teeth cleaning is necessary to keep your teeth healthy and white, with regular treatments, IPL is a great way to keep your complexion radiant and youthful.
At Cosmetic Laser Dermatology, our board-certified dermatologists and staff are experts in laser treatment, as we offer a comprehensive variety of 50+ laser treatments, including the IPL photofacial device Lumenis M22, our most popular IPL treatment that suits your unique skincare needs. Not only did our very own Dr. Mitchel Goldman help develop the first intense pulsed light device for treating common skin issues, but also each of our six dermatologists has been involved in numerous research studies involving IPL, giving our team the most experience performing IPL treatments than any other practice in the country.
If you suffer from several of the above issues, you may think that a host of treatments is the only way to address them all. But who has the inclination or time to undergo several different procedures?
That’s why the board-certified dermatologists at are excited to offer you the new M22 IPL treatment, a multi-use platform that allows treatment of various conditions so you experience better results more quickly and efficiently than with other treatments.
INTENSE PULSED LIGHT
An active lifestyle with lots of time spent outdoors in the San Diego sun can result in a variety of unwanted skin conditions. However, as part of the M22, the minimally invasive IPL photofacial, often referred to as the lunchtime laser procedure, might be the skin rejuvenating treatment you’ve been looking for.
An IPL treatment uses high-intensity pulses of light to penetrate the skin and trigger your natural healing process for smoother, healthier, more refreshed looking skin. The IPL module uses SapphireCool Light Guides to provide continuous cooling to maximize patient comfort during the procedure. In addition, we use forced cold air cooling to make the experience even less painful. Finally, the Lumenis M22 uses optimal pulse technology to further reduce treatment tenderness while maximizing results! The IPL module has been proven safe and effective method of minimizing the appearance of:
- Pigmented lesions
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Unwanted hair
- Vascular lesions
- Rough skin texture
- Spider veins
- Large pores
- Skin irregularities
- Sun damage
The ResurFX mode is a non-ablative (does not burn) laser that delivers skin resurfacing for a variety of conditions. ResurFX uses a fiber laser and innovative scanner, and it’s unique because it requires only one pass for optimal results.
Despite penetrating deep into the skin, the ResurFX does no damage to the surface of the skin. The laser stimulates collagen and elastic fiber production and the skin’s self-healing properties, both of which can become limited due to aging or the damaging effects of the sun.
Furthermore, ResurFX is fully adjustable to your skin and condition for a customized treatment that’s right for you. This protects your skin and reduces the amount of time a treatment session takes. The ResurFX is typically used to address the following:
- Dull skin
- Fine lines & wrinkles
- Acne scars & surgical scars
- Textural irregularities
- Lax skin
- Collagen loss
- Scarring (from acne, previous procedures, trauma, etc.)
Furthermore, ResurFX has amazing versatility, as it can be combined with an IPL Photofacial for a state-of-the-art revitalizing Photofractional treatment. It is also perfectly suited to be combined with neuromodulators like Botox and injectable treatments such as dermal fillers for enhanced results.
At Cosmetic Laser Dermatology, we specialize in minimally- and non-invasive treatments like M22 IPL. Our 100+ years of combined experience and attention to your questions and/or concerns ensure that we develop a personalized treatment plan that helps you reach your aesthetic goals.
The M22 IPL allows you to have effective wrinkle reduction, skin rejuvenation, and appearance-enhancing results without surgery or anesthesia as well as without the inconvenience of downtime. Also, since our skin rejuvenation specialists perform the treatments themselves, you’re getting the best results available anywhere.
Contact Cosmetic Laser Dermatology today to learn more about this innovative procedure.
What to Expect
When you step into our La Jolla offices, you can expect warm smiling faces and a relaxed, friendly atmosphere. More importantly, you’ll get treated with compassion and personalized expertise.
More specifically, if you visit for an M22 IPL treatment, you can undergo a quick session, depending on nature of area being treated and the treatment plan itself. In fact, a typical session takes 10 minutes or less, which makes it ideal for treatment during a lunch break.
The M22 IPL can treat a variety of conditions with one device/handpiece. Because it equally distributes energy during each pulse, you benefit from a safer, more precise, more comfortable treatment. Furthermore, the continuous cooling capabilities of the device throughout your procedure decreases discomfort, protects your skin, and saves time while helping you get the results you’re looking for.
Due to the cooling between pulses, each treatment is minimally painful. If you’re like most of our patients, you’ll feel a slight stinging sensation as the light pulses into the skin, but it is temporary. Furthermore, the device is safe and effective for all types of skin, including darker skin, particularly for removing hair and treating vascular lesions. This also reduces the chances of any side effects, as well as those of experiencing damage to the skin, changes in texture, burning, and scarring.
This minimally invasive treatment allows for an immediate return to your daily activities, including work – although we won’t tell your employees (or the boss) if you decide to take the rest of the day off!). Downtime is not common, though it’s likely that you’ll experience redness, skin irritation, mild burning, and swelling for a few days after treatment. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov explains more about what the M22 IPL treatment can do.
Your ideal results are noticeable after a single treatment. We can recommend professional skincare, available right in our office, to help you maintain your skin’s health and prolong the positive effects of your treatment.
During your procedure:
- Topical numbing cream will be applied to the area being treated for 30-60 min prior to treatment. In some cases, your doctor may inject lidocaine into the skin in lieu of numbing cream.
- There will be multiple passes made over the treatment area with the handpiece.
- You will feel some slight discomfort similar to a mild sting or snap.
After your procedure:
- A serum, moisturizer, and/or sunscreen may be applied to the treated area after your procedure.
- The sensation of heat/intense sunburn (will subside throughout the day). It is OK to take Tylenol or Ibuprofen.
- Redness and mild swelling will occur immediately after treatment. Swelling typically peaks at 48-72 hours and should subside in 5-7 days. Sleeping with your head slightly elevated at night for the first 3 nights will help minimize swelling.
- You may experience mild crusting of the skin approximately 1-5 days after treatment. Crusts will disappear naturally in approximately 7 days. Soaking the skin in a warm shower for 10-15 minutes and massaging gently with the fingertips can help with the sloughing.
- The use of ice packs (20. min on, 20 min. off) day of the procedure and the following day will help reduce the sensation of heat and help to minimize swelling.
- NO RUBBING, PICKING OR WIPING TREATMENT AREA.
- Gentle cleansing is fine (SkinMedica Gentle Cleanser or Cetaphil Cleanser is recommended).
- Avoid harsh topical products or alcohol-based toners for 2 weeks, otherwise, you may resume your normal skincare regimen as directed by your physician 24 hours after treatment.
- DO NOT use a washcloth or the Clarisonic to cleanse.
- Avoid sun exposure on the day of treatment. Apply sunscreen with Zinc Oxide and/or Titanium Dioxide and SPF daily (minimum SPF 30). Protect the treated area from the sun both indoors and outdoors (hat, sunglasses, sunscreen). *UVA rays will penetrate through windows.
- DO NOT apply make-up until you have peeled or you have been instructed by your physician.
- Follow any additional specific post-treatment instructions from your physician.
- Follow up with your physician in _________________ days
Please contact our office if you have any questions or concerns at (858)657-1002.
Q: Is the treatment painful?
Q: How long does it take?
Q: How many treatment sessions will I need to see ideal results?
Q: Am I a good candidate?
Q: What is the recovery period like?
Q: Can it be combined with other treatments?
Q: Who should perform the treatment?
At Cosmetic Laser Dermatology, we offer several skin resurfacing alternatives to M22 IPL to help you get the aesthetic results you’re looking for. These include microneedling and Dermasweep as well as gentler options like Clear + Brilliant or chemical peels. To find out which treatment suits you better, schedule a skin-resurfacing consultation with our San Diego experts.
For more information about the monthly specials offered at Cosmetic Laser Dermatology, visit our Promotions page.
“If I could give this office 10 stars I would! I’ve never been to such an incredible office where everyone was so sweet, helpful, and professional!”- Jessica V.
“I love and appreciate the professionalism, knowledge, warmth, and extraordinary care from the team at Cosmetic Laser Dermatology.”- Alejandro S.
“I had such an awesome experience for my first visit and I am referring everyone I know to this office. From the super friendly staff to the state of the art procedures, they are the cream of the crop.”- Dinah M.