Lumenis M22 IPL Overview
If you spend a lot of time outdoors, which many in San Diego and the surrounding areas of Southern California tend to do, your skin and appearance can be dramatically affected. Common signs of sun damage include rough dull texture, fine lines and wrinkles, brown spots and patches, visible blood vessels, and diffuse skin redness. An M22 IPL photofacial can address all of these issues. Just like going to the dentist for a teeth cleaning is necessary to keep your teeth healthy and white, regular IPL treatments keep your complexion radiant and youthful.
The board-certified dermatologists at Cosmetic Laser Dermatology in San Diego are excited to offer you the all new Stellar M22 IPL treatment, featuring a multi-use platform that allows treatment of various conditions so you experience better results faster than with other treatments.
At Cosmetic Laser Dermatology, our board-certified dermatologists and staff are experts in laser treatment, as we offer a comprehensive variety of 50+ laser treatments, including IPL devices. Not only did our very own Dr. Mitchel Goldman help develop the first intense pulsed light device for treating common skin issues, but each of our six dermatologists has been involved in numerous research studies involving IPL. These credentials provide our team with more experience performing IPL treatments than any other practice in the country.
Intense Pulsed Light
An IPL treatment uses high-intensity pulses of light to penetrate the skin and trigger your natural healing process to address a variety of issues and rejuvenate the skin. We offer two different IPL devices at Cosmetic Laser Dermatology – the all new Stellar M22 and the original M22.
Reach for the Stars with the Stellar M22
The Stellar M22™ will rock your world. Open your doors to new patients of any gender and skin type. With the Stellar M22™, you’ll gain the versatility to treat over 30 skin conditions with four minimally invasive technologies in a single platform. Step into this brave new world where the Stellar M22™ rules.
The Stellar M22 takes the original M22 to the next level with an improved user interface that features a larger screen. This new addition allows for more comfortable treatments from a greater distance while shortening treatment times. The longer SapphireCool Light Guides provide greater visibility of the treatment area for greater consistency and accuracy. The Stellar M22 also uses optimal pulse technology to further reduce treatment tenderness while maximizing results.
The Stellar M22 can treat the following skin concerns:
- Pigmented lesions
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Unwanted hair
- Vascular lesions
- Rough skin texture
- Spider veins
- Large pores
- Skin irregularities
- Sun damage
One Pass, Optimal Results with ResurFX
The ResurFX mode is a non-ablative laser that delivers skin resurfacing for a variety of conditions. ResurFX uses a fiber laser and innovative scanner to treat the skin without burning it. The ResurFX is unique because it requires only one pass for optimal results.
Despite its ability to penetrate deeply into the dermal structure, the ResurFX does not damage the skin’s surface. The laser stimulates collagen and elastic fiber production and other natural healing functions can diminish due to aging or the damaging effects of the sun.
ResurFX is tailored to your precise skin tone and condition for a customized treatment that’s right for you. This personalized approach protects your skin and reduces the amount of time a treatment session takes. The ResurFX is typically used to address the following:
- Dull skin
- Fine lines & wrinkles
- Acne scars & surgical scars
- Textural irregularities
- Skin laxity
- Collagen loss
- Scarring (from acne, previous procedures, trauma, etc.)
ResurFX has amazing versatility, as it can be combined with an IPL photofacial for a state-of-the-art revitalizing photofractional treatment. It is also perfectly suited to be combined with neuromodulators like Botox and injectable dermal fillers for enhanced results.
Safe, Effective, Nonsurgical Treatments
At Cosmetic Laser Dermatology, we specialize in nonsurgical treatments like the Stellar M22 IPL. Our 100+ years of combined experience and attention to your questions and concerns ensure that we develop a personalized treatment plan that helps you reach your aesthetic goals.
The Stellar M22 IPL provides effective wrinkle reduction, skin rejuvenation, and appearance-enhancing results without anesthesia, incisions, or downtime. Since our skin rejuvenation specialists perform the treatments themselves, you can rest assured you are receiving the highest level of care and the best possible results.
Contact Cosmetic Laser Dermatology today to learn more about this innovative procedure.
What to Expect
When you step into our La Jolla offices, you will experience a relaxed, friendly atmosphere. More importantly, you will receive compassion and personalized expertise with every treatment session.
The Stellar M22 IPL treatment is typically a quick process. A typical session takes 10 minutes or less, making this an ideal option for a lunch break treatment.
The Stellar M22 IPL treats a variety of conditions with a single handpiece. Because it equally distributes energy during each pulse, you benefit from a safer, more precise, and more comfortable treatment. Continuous cooling throughout your procedure further decreases discomfort, protects your skin, and saves time while ensuring an optimal outcome.
Comfortable Treatment for All Skin Tones
Due to the cooling between pulses, each treatment is minimally painful. If you’re like most of our patients, you’ll feel a slight stinging sensation as the light pulses into the skin, but it is temporary. This device is safe and effective for all types of skin, including darker skin. It is particularly effective in removing hair and vascular lesions in all skin tones, with minimal risk of damage to the skin, changes in texture, burning, and scarring.
This minimally invasive treatment allows for an immediate return to your daily activities. You will likely experience redness, skin irritation, mild burning, and swelling for a few days after treatment, but these side effects should not require significant downtime. Learn more about IPL here.
Results are noticeable after a single treatment. We can recommend professional skincare, available right in our office, to help you maintain your skin’s health and prolong the positive effects of your treatment.
During your procedure:
- Topical numbing cream will be applied to the area being treated for 30-60 min prior to treatment. In some cases, your doctor may inject lidocaine into the skin in lieu of numbing cream.
- There will be multiple passes made over the treatment area with the handpiece.
- You will feel some slight discomfort similar to a mild sting or snap.
After your procedure:
- A serum, moisturizer, and/or sunscreen may be applied to the treated area after your procedure.
- The sensation of heat/intense sunburn (will subside throughout the day). It is OK to take Tylenol or Ibuprofen.
- Redness and mild swelling will occur immediately after treatment. Swelling typically peaks at 48-72 hours and should subside in 5-7 days. Sleeping with your head slightly elevated at night for the first 3 nights will help minimize swelling.
- You may experience mild crusting of the skin approximately 1-5 days after treatment. Crusts will disappear naturally in approximately 7 days. Soaking the skin in a warm shower for 10-15 minutes and massaging gently with the fingertips can help with the sloughing.
- The use of ice packs (20. min on, 20 min. off) day of the procedure and the following day will help reduce the sensation of heat and help to minimize swelling.
- NO RUBBING, PICKING OR WIPING TREATMENT AREA.
- Gentle cleansing is fine (SkinMedica Gentle Cleanser or Cetaphil Cleanser is recommended).
- Avoid harsh topical products or alcohol-based toners for 2 weeks, otherwise, you may resume your normal skincare regimen as directed by your physician 24 hours after treatment.
- DO NOT use a washcloth or the Clarisonic to cleanse.
- Avoid sun exposure on the day of treatment. Apply sunscreen with Zinc Oxide and/or Titanium Dioxide and SPF daily (minimum SPF 30). Protect the treated area from the sun both indoors and outdoors (hat, sunglasses, sunscreen). *UVA rays will penetrate through windows.
- DO NOT apply make-up until you have peeled or you have been instructed by your physician.
- Follow any additional specific post-treatment instructions from your physician.
- Follow up with your physician in _________________ days
Please contact our office if you have any questions or concerns at (858)657-1002.
Q: Is the treatment painful?
Q: How long does it take?
Q: How many treatment sessions will I need to see ideal results?
Q: Am I a good candidate?
Q: What is the recovery period like?
Q: Can it be combined with other treatments?
Q: Who should perform the treatment?
At Cosmetic Laser Dermatology, we offer several skin resurfacing alternatives to M22 IPL to help you get the aesthetic results you’re looking for. These include microneedling and Dermasweep as well as gentler options like Clear + Brilliant or chemical peels. To find out which treatment suits you better, schedule a skin-resurfacing consultation with our San Diego experts.
For more information about the monthly specials offered at Cosmetic Laser Dermatology, visit our Promotions page.
“I had such an awesome experience for my first visit and I am referring everyone I know to this office. From the super friendly staff to the state of the art procedures, they are the cream of the crop.”- Dinah M.
“I love and appreciate the professionalism, knowledge, warmth, and extraordinary care from the team at Cosmetic Laser Dermatology.”- Alejandro S.
“If I could give this office 10 stars I would! I’ve never been to such an incredible office where everyone was so sweet, helpful, and professional!”- Jessica V.