PicoWay Laser Overview
The PicoWay system is not only known for its tattoo and pigment removal capabilities but also as an effective, non-invasive anti-aging device that can give skin a rejuvenated, more youthful appearance. We are also excited to have the The PicoWay Resolve system which uses a gentle approach to building new collagen and elastin in the treatment of acne scars and wrinkles. In about a 15- to 20-minute treatment sessions, the PicoWay Resolve system can transforms skin while leaving the epidermis intact.
Cosmetic Laser Dermatology in San Diego is at the forefront of the latest technologies and non-surgical techniques to help you achieve healthy, radiant, and younger-looking skin. In addition to PicoWay, we also offer PicoSure and PiQo4 lasers to innovate and provide solutions to common skin concerns.
What Conditions are Treated by PicoWay Lasers
PicoWay targets these skin irregularities and conditions:
- Acne scars
- Fine lines
- Dark spots
- Pigmented lesions
- Sun damage
- Stretch marks
Schedule A PicoWay Appointment at our Medical Spa in San Diego
If you want to remove a stubborn tattoo, have a skin rejuvenating treatment, or would like to learn more about Cosmetic Laser Dermatology’s other laser treatments, schedule a consultation in our San Diego office by calling (858) 943-2113 today.
What to Expect
The PicoWay laser uses ultra-short picosecond pulses to the skin. The resulting bursts of energy create a photo-mechanical impact which helps break up skin pigments or particles of tattoo ink. It works by utilizing two different laser handpieces that split the main laser beam into small, identical beams that can effectively target textural irregularities, skin pigmentation, and various complexion concerns.
PicoWay Laser for Tattoo Removal
For tattoo removal, PicoWay has three wavelengths which can be used to treat more colors than most lasers. It has large spot sizes which can penetrate deep into the skin as needed. The picosecond pulses are 40% shorter than other picosecond lasers, making PicoWay extremely effective while minimizing downtime and side effects.
Picoway Laser for Skin Rejuvenation
As a skin rejuvenation treatment, PicoWay works by targeting both the epidermis and the dermis (deeper layer of skin that lies beneath the epidermis). It creates tiny open spaces deep within your skin which your body will fill up with elastin and collagen, resulting in improved skin tone, clarity, and texture –transforming your skin from the inside out. It also helps to even out irregular pigmentation and improve skin texture and tone.
And since PicoWay uses photo-acoustic instead of a photo-thermal effect, this means the skin will not overheat, making the treatment more comfortable than traditional lasers. After the treatment, you’ll already notice an overall improvement in your complexion. You can resume your normal activities and even apply makeup over your treated skin within a single day of treatment.
Here at Cosmetic Laser Dermatology, we make it a point to make our treatments as accessible to everyone as possible. PicoWay allows for the treatment of a variety of skin types, making it ideal for people of color who wish to have tattoos or skin lesions treated. To learn more about laser tattoo removal, visit ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
During your procedure:
- Your eyes will be protected.
- You will feel a brief sensation of heat (similar to grease “splattering” or rubber band “snapping”
against your skin).
- Each brown spot will be targeted by the laser until the entire spot has been completely covered.
- Cold air may be applied directly to the skin’s surface as it is being treated to help decrease the sensation of
After your procedure:
- The sensation of heat/intense sunburn (will subside throughout the day). It is OK to take Tylenol or
- You may notice a “white frosting” appearance over the treated area. This will subside shortly after the
procedure and then may look bruised or purple.
- Redness and mild swelling may occur in the treated area.
- Apply sunscreen with Zinc Oxide and/or Titanium Dioxide daily. Protect the treated area from the
sun both indoors & outdoors (hat, sunglasses, sunscreen).
- You can apply ice (20 min. on and 20 min. off) the day of the procedure and the following day to help
reduce the sensation of heat and to help minimize swelling.
- Swelling typically peaks at 12-24 hours. If your treatment is being performed on your face,
sleeping with your head slightly elevated at night for the first 2-3 nights will help minimize it.
- Swelling may vary from patient to patient. Some patients may not experience swelling and others
may experience marked swelling.
- NO RUBBING, PICKING OR WIPING THE TREATMENT AREA.
- It is OK to shower the day of the procedure.
- Gentle cleansing is fine.
- Treated areas will darken & look worse while healing.
- Crusting/scabbing may occur (allow to come off naturally, do not try to remove).
- Apply ointment until crusting/scabbing resolves (typically 5-10 days).
- You can wear make-up (unless instructed not to by your physician) as long as you are not rubbing,
picking, or wiping off the skin surface when applying or removing it.
- It is important that you schedule follow-up appointments as instructed by your physician.
- It is always a possibility that you may not get the desired result after one treatment. Additional
treatments may be necessary to achieve optimal desired results.
- Follow any additional specific post-treatment instructions from your physician.
- Follow up with your physician in ______ days/weeks, or as needed.
Please contact our office if you have any questions or concerns at (858)657-1002
The following lasers are safe and effective alternatives to the PicoWay laser:
PicoSure – treats unwanted tattoos and non-cancerous skin pigment problems
PiQo4 – utilizes nano and pico laser pulses and 4 different wavelengths to treat unwanted pigmentation
Cosmetic Laser Dermatology in San Diego is also one of the first offices in the country to use fractional C02 to remove tattoos.
Fraxel® Re:pair – laser penetrates the dermis and resurfaces the uppermost layer of skin
Active/Deep FX – a high-energy laser that targets unwanted spots and severe textural issues while stimulating collagen production
For more information about the monthly specials offered at Cosmetic Laser Dermatology, visit our Promotions page.
“If I could give this office 10 stars I would! I’ve never been to such an incredible office where everyone was so sweet, helpful, and professional!”- Jessica V.
“I had such an awesome experience for my first visit and I am referring everyone I know to this office. From the super friendly staff to the state of the art procedures, they are the cream of the crop.”- Dinah M.
“I love and appreciate the professionalism, knowledge, warmth, and extraordinary care from the team at Cosmetic Laser Dermatology.”- Alejandro S.