Tattoo Removal Overview
At Cosmetic Laser Dermatology, our skin care specialists offer expert and cutting-edge technology for laser tattoo removal. This is a safe and effective way to get rid of unwanted skin art. Since we have multiple lasers for tattoo removal, we can effectively remove or fade ink of almost every color from black to red to green to blue. The type of laser used depends on the color of the ink.
Our doctors are able to remove your ink with techniques that are tailored to suit your individual case. Overall, laser removal is the least invasive and most effective method, and with the addition of PicoWay, even bright colors such as orange can be treated.
Length Laser Tattoo Removal:
Generally about 5-10 sessions are required depending on the size and color of the tattoo.
Anesthesia Used During the Procedure:
Numbing cream or local anesthesia is available.
Inpatient or Outpatient Based Procedure:
Laser Tattoo Removal is performed on an outpatient basis.
Side Effects of Laser Tattoo Removal:
Laser tattoo side effects are generally very minimal but may include hyperpigmentation or hypopigmentation
Recovery After Treatment:
Minimal aftercare is required, and you are able to return to your daily life immediately after treatment. It is recommended that patients keep the treated areas out of the sun and wear a good sunscreen
Cost of Laser Tattoo Removal:
Prices vary from patient to patient depending on size of the tattoo and number of sessions required.
Types of Lasers for Tattoo Removal
Cosmetic Laser Dermatology is pleased to house a variety of lasers for any type of tattoo. These cutting-edge systems are the most advanced available, producing amazing results in fewer treatments!
We are also one of the 1st offices in the country to use fractional CO2 to remove tattoos:
How Does It Work?
During a tattoo removal procedure, a laser emits a pulse of energy that passes through the top layers of the skin and is selectively absorbed by the ink. This energy causes the ink pigment to break down into smaller particles and is then absorbed by the body. Thus, body art is safely and effectively removed without damage to the surrounding skin.
Multiple treatments, generally 5-10 sessions, are required for complete elimination. The amount of treatments needed depends on the size, the color, what type of ink was used, the location, and your skin color. Laser treatments are spaced out every 4-6 weeks for maximum results.
Free Radiation Tattoo Removal
If you have undergone radiation therapy for cancer, Cosmetic Laser Dermatology will be happy to remove your radiation tattoos free of charge. Many people find that the removal of those small dots helps them to close a chapter in their life and look forward without the constant reminder on their skin. If you have tattoos from radiation therapy that you would like removed, don’t hesitate to contact us today!
What to Expect
Tattoo removal is performed in our office. Most patients find the treatment to be quite tolerable. We can apply topical numbing ointment or local anesthesia for patients concerned about their comfort level. Eye shields are also used to protect your eyes from the laser light.
The time for your treatment will vary based on the size of the tattoo. You will feel a brief sensation of heat (similar to grease “splattering” or a rubber band snapping against your skin). We will apply cold air to the skin’s surface as the tattoo is treated to maintain a comfortable temperature on your skin.
- You will have a sensation of heat/intense sunburn which will subside throughout the day. It is okay to take Tylenol or Ibuprofen.
- You may notice a “white frosting” appearance over the treated area. This will subside shortly after treatment.
- It is possible to develop pinpoint bleeding, redness, and mild swelling.
- An ointment and bandage will be placed over your tattoo after the procedure to protect the surface of the skin.
- If needed, apply ice packs (20 min. on and 20 min. off) the day of the procedure. This will help reduce the sensation of heat and help minimize swelling.
- Swelling typically peaks at 48-72 hours. If the laser treatment is being performed on your face, sleeping with your head slightly elevated at night on two or three pillows for the first 2-3 nights will help minimize swelling. If the laser treatment is being done on the lower extremities (arms or legs), elevating these areas throughout the day and when sleeping at night for the first 3-5 nights will help minimize swelling.
- Swelling may vary from patient to patient and from treatment to treatment.
- NO RUBBING, PICKING OR WIPING THE TREATED AREA.
- It is okay to shower the day of the procedure.
- Gentle cleansing with the fingertips is okay.
- Crusting/scabbing may occur (allow to come off naturally, do not try to remove).
- Apply antibiotic ointment daily until the surface has healed (typically 1-2 weeks).
- Cover treated the area with a bandage if it is in a location that will be rubbed or irritated by clothing.
Q: How does tattoo removal work?
Q: What types of tattoos can be removed?
Q: Are certain colors easier to remove than others?
Q: How many treatments will I need?
Q: Will the tattoo completely disappear?
Q: How much downtime is required?
Q: Will I have scars?
Q: Can I remove only part of a tattoo?
Q: Can I remove permanent make-up?
Q: Is it painful?
Q: Are there any side effects of laser tattoo removal?
Q: How much does it cost?
For more information about the monthly specials offered at Cosmetic Laser Dermatology, visit our Promotions page.
“I love and appreciate the professionalism, knowledge, warmth, and extraordinary care from the team at Cosmetic Laser Dermatology.”- Alejandro S.
“I had such an awesome experience for my first visit and I am referring everyone I know to this office. From the super friendly staff to the state of the art procedures, they are the cream of the crop.”- Dinah M.
“If I could give this office 10 stars I would! I’ve never been to such an incredible office where everyone was so sweet, helpful, and professional!”- Jessica V.