Cosmetic Laser Dermatology is excited to offer patients FDA-approved Kybella treatment from Kythera. Kybella is a groundbreaking new non-invasive treatment for double chins. In the past, the only effective options for reducing fat underneath the chin were plastic surgery or liposuction; however, now this fat can be reduced through a simple series of injections!
Kybella is formulated with deoxycholic acid and works by breaking down the targeted submental fat cells under the chin. It can also be used to create Venus dimples on the back.
The fat cells are targeted and destroyed, then naturally eliminated by the body. Kybella has been in development for eight years and has undergone 19 clinical trials involving over 2600 patients. It is now FDA-approved for reducing fat underneath the chin!
Double chins can occur even if a person is not otherwise overweight, and tend to make a person seem heavier than they really are. There are no targeted exercises to get rid of a double chin, and if it hasn’t gone away after a lifestyle or diet change, chances are it’s not going to. If you have a double chin, Kybella could be great for you.
What to Expect
A Kybella treatment can take as little as five minutes. A series of injections are placed in a pattern on the areas under the chin which need treatment. It is important to visit an experienced, board-certified dermatologist such as those at Cosmetic Laser Dermatology for a Kybella treatment, as we will know exactly where to place the injections for the best results.
Following a Kybella treatment, you may experience temporary bruising, swelling, or numbness; however, these side effects are short-lived and you won’t even need to wear a bandage out of the office!
During your procedure:
- An assessment will be made by your physician to determine the extent of the treatment
area and the appropriate amount needed.
- Some physicians may decide to use local anesthesia prior to the Kybella injections or
incorporate anesthesia into the injection.
- You may have a very small amount of pinpoint bleeding where the needle was
inserted. This usually subsides in a few minutes with ice and pressure.
- The most common side effects are swelling, bruising, pain, numbness, redness, and
areas of hardness in the treatment area. These usually resolve within a few days.
- Consult your physician if you have any concerns.
After your procedure:
- Use your regular skincare products and make-up.
- Apply ice packs to ease tenderness and swelling in the first few days if needed.
- You may get a bruise from the injections. If so, you are welcome to come into the office
the following day and have the bruise(s) treated with a laser at no charge.
- You may also take Arnika Forte pills before and after the treatment to decrease
bruising. We have Arnika Forte available for purchase.
- Follow any additional specific post-treatment instructions from your physician.
- Many patients experience visible contouring of their chin profile in 2 – 4 treatments
within 2 – 4 months. Up to 6 treatments may be administered.
Please contact our office if you have any questions or concerns at (858) 657-1002.
Kybella is a good option for men and women who have excess submental fat causing a double chin. However, if a person is suffering from loose, sagging skin under the chin, Kybella may not be the right choice. Kybella targets fat cells, not loose skin.
If you have sagging skin under your chin you’d like to be rid of, Ulthera or ThermiTight, two skin-tightening procedures, might be better for you. Talk to one of the expert dermatologists at Cosmetic Laser Dermatology to find out if you are a candidate for Kybella!
“I love and appreciate the professionalism, knowledge, warmth, and extraordinary care from the team at Cosmetic Laser Dermatology.”- Alejandro S.
“I had such an awesome experience for my first visit and I am referring everyone I know to this office. From the super friendly staff to the state of the art procedures, they are the cream of the crop.”- Dinah M.
“If I could give this office 10 stars I would! I’ve never been to such an incredible office where everyone was so sweet, helpful, and professional!”- Jessica V.
Same Day Appointments Available!
Book a consultation online