Dreaming of smoother, healthier, and younger-looking skin? Perhaps a Fraxel laser treatment is the right choice for you. This safe and effective fractional treatment addresses a bevy of skin woes and provides noticeable skin rejuvenation.
Cosmetic Laser Dermatology is a top cosmetic dermatology center in San Diego, California. World-renowned, board-certified dermatologists feature more than 50 laser, light and energy and devices to provide patients with customized care and innovative solutions for any skin concern.
Our San Diego medical spa offers Fraxel laser treatments to help patients achieve their cosmetic beauty goals.
What does the Fraxel laser do?
Fraxel laser treatments are laser-based fractional skin resurfacing procedures that create micro-injuries in the skin without touching surrounding skin and tissue.
It is a minimally-invasive treatment that can address skin challenges without incisions or significant downtime depending on the procedure.
The treatment stimulates collagen production and triggers the skin to regenerate healthy cells.
After the healing process, the skin appears smoother and more youthful.
Fraxel lasers can treat:
- Sun damage
- Acne scars
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Uneven skin texture and tone
There are several different types of Fraxel lasers, including:
- Fraxel Dual: This laser uses two different wavelengths to target discoloration and trigger collagen production It is used to treat brown spots, fine lines and wrinkles, and hyperpigmentation.
- Fraxel Re:pair: This laser works deep into the dermal layers to boost collagen production. It can treat wrinkling, melasma, sun damage, scarring, and irregular pigmentation.
- Fraxel Re:store: This laser effectively treats fine lines and wrinkles and is most effective for superficial facial lines. It can also treat acne scars.
How does Fraxel compare?
Hundreds of lasers are available to treat skin conditions, but not all are made the same and intended to create the same results.
It is critical to consult a board-certified dermatologist who will be able to select and use the right laser for your specific skin type and tone.
Fraxel lasers differ from other laser and light devices in terms of how they work and what they can treat.
Fraxel laser vs. Fractional CO2
The UltraPulse CO2 laser is an ablative device that removes the outermost layers of skin to produce dramatic improvement.
Fractional CO2 lasers work in a similar fashion to Fraxel lasers, creating micro-injuries in the skin to stimulate the body’s healing response.
The Fraxel Re:store laser does not have the ablative feature that removes the top layer of skin; they are restricted to the effects of a fractional process.
Fraxel laser vs. IPL
Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) is a light-based laser that uses short bursts of light wavelengths to penetrate the skin and treat unwanted hair, blood vessels, and brown spots. Fraxel Dual 1927 nm laser treatments use a single energy beam to treat a portion of damaged skin, leaving surrounding areas untouched.
What can I expect from my Fraxel treatment?
Fraxel laser treatments address a range of skin issues while offering additional benefits:
- Skin rejuvenation
- Reduced fine lines and wrinkles
- Even skin tone and texture
- Increased collagen production
- Younger and healthier-looking skin
Patients may need 3-5 treatment sessions to achieve satisfactory results, depending on the specific Fraxel laser used and condition to be treated.
Some issues can be corrected faster than others, and sessions depend on the device used, individual goals, and treatment results
. Fraxel laser sessions should be spaced about four weeks apart to ensure the skin is fully healed between treatments.
What is it like after a Non-Ablative Fraxel treatment?
After a Fraxel laser treatment at our medical spa, a crust forms on the skin and flakes off, leaving behind fresh, healthy skin. Many patients begin to see results within a week, although they can continue to improve much longer.
Here’s a day-by-day look at recovery:
- Skin will look and feel sunburned
- There will be a pink or red coloring and slight swelling
- The skin may feel tight and have a glossy appearance
- Icing after treatment can help relieve the swelling
- The skin color will change to bronze as if the skin was tanned
- Skin may still feel tight and dry
- The top layer of skin will begin to peel and flake
- Do not pick or pull flaking skin due to increased chances of scarring
- New skin begins to appear
- Skin should no longer be flakey
- Skin should appear smoother, clearer, and fresher
For the first week after a treatment, avoid applying makeup, picking the skin, and using exfoliating face cleansers.
Appropriate sun protection such as topical lotion with an SPF and a hat should be worn after treatment, and nourishing moisturizer should be applied daily.
Results vary based on the severity of the skin condition and the number of treatment sessions, but many patients see results for more than six months.
Schedule a consultation at our medical spa to find out if Fraxel is right for you
If you’re looking for a non-invasive treatment option to even skin tone and texture or reduce signs of aging and scarring, a Fraxel laser treatment may be right for you. One of our board-certified dermatologists can help you identify which Fraxel laser will work best for you and help you achieve your desired results. As you consider different Fraxel treatments, remember that costs can vary, and if multiple sessions are needed, the price can increase.
Contact Cosmetic Laser Dermatology to schedule a consultation and learn more about Fraxel laser treatments.