As a feature that gets plenty of attention, we want our eyes to radiate youthful beauty. Unfortunately, the delicate skin surrounding the eyes is one of the first areas to show signs of aging and sun damage, leading us to look older than we feel. The good news is there are plenty of treatment options to rejuvenate the eyes, which in turn refreshes our entire appearance.
Board-certified dermatologist Monica Boen, MD at Cosmetic Laser Dermatology talks about treatment choices in her below eye rejuvenation webinar. She explains why the eyes age and what we can do about it to continue to look our absolute best at every age.
Causes of Aging Around the Eyes
In a young face, Dr. Boen explains that there is a smooth transition from the bottom of the eye to the cheek. As skin loosens, wrinkles start to form, and skin texture becomes more uneven, we begin to lose that smoothness. Culprits of these changes include collagen depletion, bone resorption, and loosening of the tendons and muscles that support the eye. Fat pads located around the eye also change position or diminish, leading to hollowing in the tear troughs and more wrinkle formation.
Sometimes the best way to solve a problem is to prevent it. That is especially true for maintaining fresh, beautiful eyes. Dr. Boen listed the following steps we can all take to help keep our youthful appearances:
- Watch your diet – The same healthy diet that gives you glowing skin may also help to ward off early signs of aging around the eyes.
- Get enough sleep – Since the eyes are often the first to show signs of stress and sleep deprivation, make sure you are getting adequate shut-eye to prevent symptoms from appearing.
- Practice sun protection – In addition to wearing sunscreen daily, you can further protect your eyes by donning sunglasses and a wide-brim hat whenever you head outside.
- Treat medical conditions – Conditions like allergies and eczema can wreak havoc with delicate skin around the eyes, so see your doctor about keeping symptoms under control.
- Use topical remedies – Topical antioxidants and growth factors can go far in maintaining the youthful radiance of your skin.
Dr. Boen mentioned a few of her favorite eye creams, including TNS, Skinceuticals, and ColorScience, which can all be found in our online skincare store.
4 Targets for Eye Rejuvenation
When offering eye rejuvenation treatments to patients, Dr. Boen says she considers four targets she might want to address:
- Volume loss – Collagen depletion causes volume loss that can lead to hollow tear troughs, bulges under the eyes, and early wrinkle formation.
- Blood vessels – Thinner skin under the eyes allows blood vessels to become more visible, leading to discoloration and the appearance of dark circles.
- Pigment – Other pigment changes can also be the result of thinning skin, as well as sun damage and genetics.
- Skin texture changes – Skin can become more crepey, with an increase in fine lines and a baggy appearance.
Treatment Options At Our Medical Spa
Dr. Boen provides treatment options for all of the targets listed above, with the ability to customize each treatment to the precise needs and goals of her patients. She can also treat multiple targets in a single session, ensuring patients enjoy the best possible results with the fewest number of visits. Treatment options might include:
Also known as wrinkle relaxers, these injectable treatments target specific facial muscles that create wrinkles when forming expressions. These treatments are particularly good for addressing crow’s feet, the fine lines that fan out from the outer corners of the eyes. At Cosmetic Laser Dermatology, we use all of the current neuromodulators, including Botox® Cosmetic, Dysport®, Xeomin®, and Jeuveau®.
Dr. Boen also cited a study that found patients who regularly get Botox injections to raise the position of the eyebrows can enjoy cumulative benefits of repeated treatment. The study found that consistent use of neuromodulators in this area can lead to long-term improvement in the brow position.
Dr. Boen and the other board-certified dermatologists at our San Diego medical spa frequently use dermal fillers to restore subtle volume under the eyes, which can reverse eye hollowing and visible vessels that appear as a result of volume loss in this area. Dr. Boen typically uses a micro-cannula when injecting this area because it minimizes side effects after treatment and ensures the smoothest result with fewer injections.
Laser, Light, and Energy Devices
For many pigment concerns, as well as significant skin laxity and texture changes, Dr. Boen often recommends laser, light, and energy devices. These treatments work beneath the skin’s surface to stimulate collagen production and smooth and plump the skin from the inside out.
Radiofrequency microneedling is a popular choice for pigment issues and mild wrinkling. This procedure combines microneedling with radiofrequency energy to heat the deeper dermal layers and increase collagen production. Patients typically require 2-3 treatments with about 3-5 days of downtime after each session. Results can be both noticeable and long-lasting.
For the most severe aging symptoms under the eyes, Dr. Boen often recommends CO2 laser resurfacing. This procedure is one of the most powerful and requires more downtime than RF microneedling. However, the results are even more dramatic and durable than RF microneedling. Lasers can also eliminate some darkening under the eyes and provide a nonsurgical eyelid lift on the upper lids.
Schedule an Eye Rejuvenation Consultation in San Diego
The eyes can be subject to many changes over time, but there are ways to reverse the effects of time on this delicate area. If you are ready to turn back the clock and restore youthful vitality to your eyes, contact our San Diego medical spa to schedule your consultation and learn more about your treatment options.