The standards of beauty are constantly changing and the pursuit of achieving them is just as dynamic. Aside from the traditional “nip and tuck,” we can now inject, fill, sculpt, and laser our way to look young and radiant. These less invasive procedures are even proving to be viable options for both medical and cosmetic conditions, further cementing their growing dominance in the world of cosmetic dermatology.
There is no denying the fact that the cosmetic dermatology market is on the rise, thanks to the ever-growing demand for beauty and anti-aging treatments. The American Society for Dermatologic Surgery (ASDS) reports that its physician members performed nearly 12 million medically necessary and cosmetic procedures in 2017. That’s over 10% more than in 2016 and doubling since 2012.
The world-renowned dermatologists of Cosmetic Laser Dermatology know what it’s like to cater to the flourishing plea for safe and effective treatments. As San Diego’s #1 destination for beautiful skin for over 30 years, we are committed to offering our patients customized care that uses only the most innovative lasers, injectables, and other aesthetic treatments available.
Most Performed Dermatologic Procedures
With the U.S. having more skin cancer diagnoses each year than any other cancer combined, it’s no surprise that skin cancer topped the survey’s list. More than 9,500 people in the U.S. are diagnosed with skin cancer every day and 1 in 5 Americans will develop skin cancer by the age of 70. For the 6th year in a row, skin cancer treatments were the most-performed procedure by ASDS member dermatologists. Dermatologic surgeons are making it their mission to provide expert diagnoses, prevention education, consumer awareness, as well as gold standard treatments. More than 3.5 million skin cancer procedures were performed by ASDS members in 2017 –a 33% increase since 2012.
Sun damage took the top spot for the leading condition treated with energy-based devices. This further solidifies the need for sun protection education, especially for younger patients. Consumer awareness and practicing sun-safe behaviors can shape healthier habits. And with the help of the SUNucate model legislation created by the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery Association (ASDSA), 14 states have passed laws allowing children to use over-the-counter sunscreen at schools and camps without a physician’s note or prescription.
Cosmetic Dermatologic Treatments Are On The Rise
A trip to the cosmetic dermatologist’s office could already lead to a patient’s dramatic transformation, thanks to minimally invasive treatments that can produce similar results to surgical procedures. These top cosmetic treatments of 2017 prove how people are opting for the non-surgical route in achieving natural-looking results:
- Laser, Light, and Energy-Based Devices (3.2 million) – these treatments safely and effectively treat skin conditions including facial redness, sun damage, age spots, scars, birthmarks, and excess hair
- Neuromodulators (2.1 million) – injectable wrinkle-relaxers such as Botox smooth fine lines and wrinkles
- Soft-Tissue Fillers (1.6 million) – injectables that add new contours to the face by restoring fullness and volume, or raise depressed scars
- Chemical Peels (485,000) – a chemical solution is applied to the skin, causing it to exfoliate and eventually peel off, revealing smoother and clearer skin
- Body Sculpting Treatments (434,000) – treatments ranging from “fat freezing” lasers to injectables that help eliminate stubborn fat, tightening the skin and adding new contours to the face and body
Breakthrough treatments new to the 2017 survey include microneedling (a procedure in which tiny punctures into the skin help boost collagen production, effectively treating wrinkles, acne, and scarring) and platelet-rich-plasma (PRP) – blood is drawn and processed, creating a serum that will help accelerate healing and can support skin and hair rejuvenation.
“An increase in media coverage and in celebrities acknowledging their procedures are growing awareness among the general public and improving the comfort level of diverse audiences to explore treatments,” says ASDS President Lisa Donofrio, MD. Clearly, those interested in undergoing cosmetic procedures are significantly increasing in number. Even the male demographic is growing. Male interest in these minimally invasive treatments shows a 9% growth rate in wrinkle-relaxers and a 25% growth rate in soft-tissue fillers since 2012. The under-30 demographic on the other hand, are becoming more proactive with their beauty and health, and opting for preventative skin care treatments. In addition, the percentage of millennials now using injectable treatments has almost doubled in the last six years.
Why Are Minimally Invasive Procedures So Popular?
The number of performed minimally invasive procedures has certainly grown tremendously over the years and shows no indication of slowing down. These are some of the factors that continue to pave the nonsurgical way towards achieving a healthier and more beautiful face and body:
- Innovative Research and Technology – advances in research and technology are on track with consumer interest and demand, providing diverse and effective minimally invasive cosmetic options
- Accessibility – once reserved for the rich and famous, cosmetic surgery procedures are now more mainstream, safer, and more affordable
- Inclusivity – more procedures are now being catered to men who are now more conscious than ever about the way they look. A majority of treatments today are also safe for all skin types
- Desire to Look and Feel Beautiful – wanting to feel more confident, look younger, and more attractive are the driving forces that make us seek out these transformative treatments
- Desire to Look “Natural” – people want little micro-optimizations instead of drastic changes
Schedule A Cosmetic Procedure Appointment in San Diego
With over 100,000 satisfied patients, you can trust your skin in the hands of our team of board-certified dermatologists at Cosmetic Laser Dermatology, helping you achieve natural-looking results without the need for surgery. Learn more about our face and body rejuvenating treatments by scheduling a consultation in our San Diego medical spa by calling (858) 943-2113 today.