Sclerotherapy For Varicose Veins in San Diego
Sclerotherapy is a series of non-invasive injections to the legs or hands that is designed to effectively eliminate the appearance of spider veins. Using a technique known as a sclerosing agent treatment, our doctors administer the injections to the feeder vein, which is the main vein causing other small veins to break away and appear. Addressing the root cause of the problem is the best way to reduce the appearance of spider veins in this quick and easy office visit.
Depending on the number of spider veins you’re experiencing, it may be necessary for a series of office visits to take place, even though it’s very common for patients to notice an immediate result in the reduction of their veins appearance right away. Sclerotherapy is a very safe procedure and is often times more effective than laser vein removal treatments.
Why Choose Us?
Each of our board-certified dermatologists are experts in the performance of non-invasive sclerotherapy treatment for unwanted varicose veins. As the author of the most widely used textbooks on sclerotherapy and a pioneer in the field of facial and leg veins, Dr. Goldman is the world authority on procedures and treatments. As highly regarded contributors to the field of dermatologic research, our doctors have performed more successful sclerotherapy procedures than anyone else in the area. When you come to San Diego Cosmetic Laser Dermatology, you aren’t trusting just anyone…you’re trusting the experts.
If you’re interested in learning more about how our doctors can help you overcome spider veins on your legs, we encourage you to contact our team of experts today!
Candidates for Varicose Vein Treatment
You might be an excellent candidate to undergo treatment for hand vein reduction with our expert doctors if you are currently experiencing any of the following vein problems, including but not limited to:
- Hand Vein
- Leg Vein
- Calf Veins
Though most individuals are a candidate for sclerotherapy instead of more invasive vein removal procedures like a phlebectomy, it’s necessary to visit us for an initial consultation to determine the best course of treatment for you. During this time, we’ll be able to examine your concerns in person to develop a treatment plan that is completely custom to your exact needs. If you’re not a candidate for sclerotherapy, you may fair better with a different vein treatment, including:
Watch Dr. Goldman Treat a Patient With Sclerotherapy
Watch Dr. Fabi Perform Sclerotherapy to Treat Leg Veins
What to Expect Before, During, and after Your Sclerotherapy Procedure for Hands
- If you are taking Coumadin (Warfarin), Plavix (Clopidogrel), Motrin (Ibuprofen), Aleve (Naproxen), Aspirin or other supplements like fish oil, Vitamin E, flax, etc., please let your physician know before your sclerotherapy procedure, as these medications can cause bruising.
- DO NOT STOP any prescribed medication unless your primary care doctor approves it.
- Please be aware some medications must be stopped 1-2 weeks before the procedure to minimize bleeding or bruising.
During Your Procedure:
- 1-4 injections will be administered on each hand.
- The treated hand is wrapped in an ace bandage for 24 hours. We suggest treating your hands a day apart so they are both not wrapped up at the same time.
After Your Procedure:
- Tenderness, soreness, itching and mild discomfort may be experienced for a few days.
- Once you remove the bandage, your veins will look worse. It takes the body some time to resorb the treated veins, usually about 4-8 weeks until they are no longer visible.
- Bruising, tenderness, soreness, hardening and darkening of the veins is normal.
- Two weeks after your treatment you may notice a coagulum (a small collection of blood that is trapped within the vein but is NOT a blood clot). The coagulum may be tender and sore. We advise that you come into the office and have your physician drain the coagulum. Draining the coagulum will help relieve tenderness and soreness. Ibuprofen can be taken to help relieve inflammation.
- On average, it can take 8-12 weeks to notice full improvement. Sometimes patients may need additional treatment depending on how extensive the veins are. If so, we recommend that you wait 2-3 months before re-treating the same hand.
- Follow any additional specific post treatment instructions from your physician.
- Follow up with your physician as needed.
Understanding how sclerotherapy can help you overcome stubborn and unsightly reticular veins is the goal of our doctors. Listed below are some of the most commonly asked questions about the non-invasive procedure. If you have any additional questions, please contact our office today and we’d be happy to speak with you about your concerns.
Q: Is sclerotherapy safe?
Q: Who should perform sclerotherapy injections?
Q: When can I see results after my sclerotherapy injections?
Q: What are varicose veins?
Q: Will I need multiple treatments?
Q: Is there any downtime following sclerotherapy in San Diego?
Get Rid Of Your Blue Veins Today!
If you’d like more information on how our team of cosmetic laser dermatologists can help you look and feel your best by overcoming leg or hand veins with sclerotherapy in San Diego, please contact our medical practice today by calling (858) 943-2113. With advanced technology, cutting edge techniques, and world-renowned dermatologists, we’re confident in our abilities to bring you the best results possible.
For additional information on whether or not you’d be an excellent candidate for San Diego sclerotherapy treatments, please contact Cosmetic Laser Dermatology in San Diego today.
Next, learn more about laser vein removal with the CoolTouch CTEV.