PicoSure Laser Overview
PicoSure’s advanced technology is a breakthrough for those seeking a way to remove stubborn tattoos or reduce the signs of aging without the pain, downtime, and risks of traditional laser treatments.
How PicoSure works
PicoSure sets itself apart by pulsing at a remarkable rate 100 times shorter than traditional nanosecond technology, allowing for an unparalleled photochemical impact without harming surrounding skin. This advanced laser system shatters tattoo ink and pigmentation into smaller particles, facilitating the body’s elimination process, and its photo-mechanical mechanism ensures minimal disruption to the epidermis, leading to enhanced comfort, reduced skin redness, fewer treatments, and faster skin clearance. PicoSure stands as an exceptional choice for both tattoo removal and skin revitalization, thanks to its cutting-edge technology.
Benefits of PicoSure include:
- Swift treatment
- Ideal for all skin colors
- Reduced discomfort
- Fewer sessions needed
- Minimal risk of thermal damage
- Fast skin clearance
- Reduced skin redness
- Radiant, blemish-free skin
- Smoother skin with more even skin tone
- Smaller pores
- Plumper skin
- Minimized lines, wrinkles, scars, and stretch marks
What PicoSure Treats:
- Acne or surgical scarring
- Benign pigmented lesions
- Stretch marks
- Tattoos (all ink colors)
Schedule a PicoSure Laser Treatment at our Medical Spa in San Diego
Would you like to discover how PicoSure can reveal clear, radiant, and youthful-looking skin? We’ll gladly answer your questions about how PicoSure and Cosmetic Laser Surgery’s other laser treatments can benefit you.
Schedule a consultation in our San Diego office by calling (858) 943-2113 today.
What to Expect
PicoSure is a complete skin rejuvenation and tattoo removal procedure that can revitalize your skin from head to toe. Below, our board-certified dermatologists have broken down what you can expect during and after PicoSure treatment:
During your procedure:
- We will protect your eyes.
- You will feel a brief sensation of heat (similar to grease “splattering” or rubber band “snapping”
against your skin).
- The laser will target each brown spot or pigmented area until the entire spot has been completely covered.
- Cold air may be applied directly to the skin’s surface as it is being treated to help decrease the sensation of
After your procedure:
- The sensation of heat/intense sunburn will subside throughout the day. It is OK to take Tylenol or
- You may notice a “white frosting” appearance over the treated area. This will subside shortly after the
procedure and then may look bruised or purple.
- Redness and mild swelling may occur in the treated area.
- Apply sunscreen with Zinc Oxide and/or Titanium Dioxide daily. Protect the treated area from the
sun both indoors and outdoors (hat, sunglasses, sunscreen).
- You can apply ice (20 min. on and 20 min. off) the day of the procedure and the following day to help
reduce the sensation of heat and to help minimize swelling.
- Swelling typically peaks at 12-24 hours. If your treatment is being performed on your face,
sleeping with your head slightly elevated at night for the first 2-3 nights will help minimize it.
- Swelling may vary from patient to patient. Some patients may not experience swelling and others
may experience marked swelling.
- Don’t rub, pick, or wipe the treatment area.
- It is OK to shower the day of the procedure.
- Gentle cleansing is fine.
- Treated areas will darken and worsen in appearance while healing.
- Crusting/scabbing may occur (allow to come off naturally, do not try to remove).
- Apply ointment until crusting/scabbing resolves (typically 5-10 days).
- You can wear make-up (unless instructed not to by your physician) as long as you are not rubbing,
picking, or wiping off the skin surface when applying or removing it.
- It is important that you schedule follow-up appointments as instructed by your physician.
- It is always a possibility that you may not get the desired result after one treatment. Additional
treatments may be necessary to achieve optimal desired results.
- Follow any additional specific post-treatment instructions from your physician.
- Follow up with your physician as needed.
Please contact our office if you have any questions or concerns at (858)943-2113
Q: How does the laser work?
The PicoSure laser targets specific areas of the skin to remove tattoos or other pigment problems. Because it uses a shorter pulse duration than other systems, treatment is more efficient than with other laser devices and results in very optimal outcomes for patients.
Q: How many treatment sessions are needed?
The number of treatments will vary depending on your skin condition and how well your skin responds to them. For tattoo removal, the location, size, and density of color will significantly impact how fast clearance can be achieved. On average, 3-10 sessions are necessary. For skin revitalization, 2-5 treatments are common.
Our San Diego dermatologists will be able to provide you with a personalized plan for the best results.
Q: Who should perform cosmetic laser treatments?
It’s always important to make sure that you visit a board-certified dermatologist for all laser skin treatments. A board-certified dermatologist has the greatest understanding and knowledge in the performance of laser surgeries and understands how to bring the best results to patients. This also lowers the patient’s risk of receiving any permanent damage.
Q: Am I a good candidate to undergo PicoSure?
You might be an excellent candidate to undergo treatment with picosecond laser technology in San Diego if you wish to remove a tattoo located anywhere on your body or if you have an unwanted benign pigmented lesion. To further determine your candidacy, please contact our office today to schedule an initial consultation with a board-certified dermatologist and cosmetic surgeon.
Q: Is the PicoSure laser FDA-approved?
Yes, it is FDA-approved. In fact, the laser received clearance from the FDA in December of 2012. This means the treatment is not only safe but effective for the right individuals.
Q: Can it treat post-inflammatory pigmentation problems and melasma?
The PicoSure laser can effectively reduce the appearance of melasma and post-inflammatory pigmentation problems.
Q: Does it have the ability to target red and yellow ink?
The latest PicoSure device can treat all ink colors, including red and yellow pigments. A comprehensive consultation is essential to determine whether PicoSure is the appropriate device for your tattoo.
Q: Is it good for the removal of black tattoos?
The PicoSure laser in San Diego has shown to more effectively and rapidly treat this color tattoo than the conventional Q-switched lasers and in less treatment settings.
Q: How much does PicoSure cost?
The cost of your laser tattoo removal treatment in San Diego will depend on a variety of factors including the size, color, and placement on the body. We offer free consultations with a board-certified dermatologist to determine the best treatment plan for you. Contact our office to schedule your appointment today.
Aside from PicoSure, Cosmetic Laser Dermatology’s pigmentation specialists can recommend other lasers for tattoo removal or skin rejuvenation. Examples include:
PicoWay – designed to remove multi-colored, recalcitrant tattoos, as well as benign pigmented lesions and total skin rejuvenation
Cosmetic Laser Dermatology in San Diego is also one of the first offices in the country to use fractional C02 to remove tattoos.
Fraxel® Re:pair – laser penetrates the dermis and resurfaces the uppermost layer of skin
Active/Deep FX – high-energy laser that targets unwanted spots and severe textural issues while stimulating collagen production
For more information about the monthly specials offered at Cosmetic Laser Dermatology, visit our Promotions page.
“I love and appreciate the professionalism, knowledge, warmth, and extraordinary care from the team at Cosmetic Laser Dermatology.”- Alejandro S.
“I had such an awesome experience for my first visit and I am referring everyone I know to this office. From the super friendly staff to the state of the art procedures, they are the cream of the crop.”- Dinah M.
“If I could give this office 10 stars I would! I’ve never been to such an incredible office where everyone was so sweet, helpful, and professional!”- Jessica V.
Same Day Appointments Available!
Book a consultation online